In snowy or icy area:
It is recommended:
- Avoid driving while snowing. If you do so, just drive in case of absolute necessity.
- Avoid driving at night time.
- Avoid driving by yourself.
- Always take warm and waterproof clothes, footwear to combat cold weather, gloves, food rich in calories and water.
- Do not accelerate or brake violently, use the gear shift.
- Remember that in shodwy areas, the ice still remains.
- Keep your distance from the car in front of yours, this distance must be considerably larger than the usual one.
- Avoid stopping the car in slopes, bridges, curves or places with poor visibility.
- Remember that cars that are ascending in a slope have priority.
- Respect and give priority to the team and staff who are doing winter maintenance tasks.
- Accept the instructions given by the police, civil defense or highway agancies.
- Do not pull over on the road, do so on the lay-by.
- In case of being at a standstill on the road because of the snow or ice:
- Remain in the car, it is the safest place.
- Keep the car closed but with air circulation in order to renew the air. Do not use fuel heaters to heat the inside of the car.
- Make sure the roof is snow free.
- Switch on the engine regularly to keep the temperature of the inside of the car.
The positioning of chains:
Cars and four wheel vehicles:
1- Compulsory in every rear and front wheel, according to the vehicle class.
2- If your vehicle is rear track, add the chains in the front wheels so that the manoeuvre improves.
- Keep the gas tank full, eventhough you are driving for a short time.
- Use antifreeze in the refrigeration system and windscreen wiper.
- Drive with chains specialized in snow and ice in case of abslotue necessity.
- If you are driving a light vehicle you may use tires with nails.
You should remember:
- Tonne towing bar
- Small Shovel
- Jumper cable
- A colourful cloth to use it as a flag to indicate your position.
- Do not try to look for help during a storm because you will certaintly loose sense of direction.
- Do not fall asleep. If you do so, you may suffer from hypothermia which may cause physical damages due to the cold weather.
- Every passanger inside the car shoud fasten their seatbelts.
- Keep your lights on.
Source: Developed by National Highways Agency.